Header Setup (Title, Logo, Description & Menu) [Kickstart Pro]
This article will show you how to setup the header section of the Kickstart Pro theme.
In this article
To change the name / title of your website go to Settings > General from the WordPress menu, edit the Site Title field and hit the Save Changes button.
If you'd prefer to use a logo instead of the text, you first need to use FTP to upload your logo to the Lean Kickstart theme's image folder. This will probably be /wp-content/themes/lean_kickstart/images/
The theme is designed for a logo image size of 155 pixels x 80 pixels so we suggest keeping the image close to that / in those proportions.
Your logo file should be saved as logo.png and you may need to overwrite the existing logo.png file in the same folder first.
Once you've done that go to Genesis > Theme Settings > Header and choose Image Logo and then Save Settings.
What if I don't have access to FTP or I'm unfamiliar with it?
In that case we recommend installing the (free) File Manager WordPress plugin, available at the following link:
- wp-content > themes > kickstart-pro > images
If you're still stuck however, please contact your web hosting company who should be able to arrange FTP access for you.
This feature was improved in Lean Kickstart v1.0.5.
You can have a short text description / slogan next to your site name.
You can edit this under Settings > General in the Description field. If you don't want a description you can just leave this blank though.
Before placing a menu in the header you must first create one in WordPress.
- Go to Appearance > Menus from the WordPress menu.
- If you’re creating a new menu click ‘Create a new menu’ and give it a name
- You can now choose any combination of Pages or Categories from the left that you'd like to include, by checking them and clicking Add to menu
- From the left column you can also include custom Links and by entering the URL and the Link Text of the network you want to link and again clicking Add to Menu
- All of your menu items will now appear on the right
- You can now drag and drop your menu items on the right in any order you wish
- You can also great a multi-level dropdown menu by placing a menu item beneath another one and dragging it to the right slightly so it appears indented (if you're not sure on this you can experiment and then check the results on the front end in a minute)
- When you're finished click the Save Menu button.
Finally, to add the menu to your website:
Versions v1.3 and later of Kickstart
- Check the Primary Navigation Menu option and click the Save Menu button.
Versions 1.2 and earlier of Kickstart
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Drag and drop a Custom Menu widget to the Header Right widget area
- If not already selected, choose the name of your menu from the drop down menu and click Save
- Now go to the homepage of your website and double-check the links
- If you need to make any adjustments just go back to Appearance > Menus